Top 15 Exercises for Fat Loss
If you want to lose weight, regular exercise is essential. However, the exercises you choose can make a huge difference when it comes to the total amount of body fat you burn. That’s why in this article we are going to help you choose the most effective exercises for achieving your weight loss goals by listing 15 of the top fat loss exercises, and you don’t even have to enter a gym!
Boxing is a fantastic sport that blasts through 613 calories per hour. Not only is it great fun but it also allows you to build up some self-defense skills as you blast away the body fat. In addition to this, it’s extremely versatile with bag work, boxing matches, sparring and speed work all making up part of the sport.
Burpees are one of the most popular bodyweight exercises around and burn through a notable 546 calories per hour. In addition to this, they give all the muscles in your body an effective workout which builds muscle mass and increases the amount of body fat you burn on a daily basis. To perform burpees, simply follow these instructions:
- Begin in a squat position with your hands on the ground in front of you.
- Kick both legs out behind you until you are in a push-up position.
- Pull both legs back up to squat position quickly.
- Jump as high into the air as possible from the squat position, reaching both hands above the head.
- Repeat (can’t imagine anyone can do this for a hour non-stop!)
Cycling increases aerobic fitness and tones the muscles of the legs and bottom. It’s a non-impact activity, which means that it places no stress on the joints of the knee, ankle, and back.
Try cycling to work, which is kinder to the environment, instead of taking public transport or driving.
From ballet to ballroom, dancing is one of the most enjoyable and fun ways to work out. Different styles offer different benefits, such as ballet improving posture and flexibility or ballroom helping coordination. It’s also great for your sense of wellbeing because it is a social activity – socialising with friends contributes to high self-esteem and a positive outlook.
Mayo Clinic researchers reported that social dancing helps to:
• increase energy
• reduce stress
• improve strength
• increase muscle tone and coordination.
5) Jump Rope
Jump rope is a great weight loss exercise that you can perform anytime and anywhere in a relatively small space. It blasts through 798 calories per hour and all you need is a jump rope and you’re good to go. Maybe you haven’t tried it since school, but skipping is the easiest way to shape up… and it’s free. It’s a great way to burn body fat – and it’s particularly good at shaping your legs, abdominals, arms and shoulders. There’s a good reason why boxers use this exercise as part of their training.
6) Jump Squats
Jump squats are a simple but effective bodyweight move that target all the muscles in your legs and work off a substantial 900 calories per hour. To perform jump squats, simply follow these instructions:
- Stand up straight with your feet shoulder-width apart, toes pointing straight forward. Bring your arms loosely to your sides. Squat down by bending your knees and reaching your hips back as if to sit down in a chair behind you.
- Throw your arms up in the air and jump as high as you can.
- the same spot you jumped from. Bend your knees as you land so as not to hurt your knee joints. Drop your arms as you land.
- Hold the landed position with knees slightly bent for two seconds. This gives your ankle muscles and core time to stabilize.
7) Rock Climbing
Rock climbing is an excellent exercise that’s fun, challenging and unique. The climbing itself works off 749 calories per hour but it also gives all the muscles in your body an intense workout which increases your muscle mass and has a positive long term effect on the amount of body fat you burn.
8) Roller Skating
Roller skating is one of the most enjoyable free exercises. It’s also provides a complete aerobic workout and involves all of the body’s muscles, especially your legs and bottom and puts less pressure on your joints than running. Get outdoors and enjoy this activity with the family or friends.
Running is one of the simplest fat loss exercises around and allows you to enjoy the outdoors while also topping up your vitamin D levels. In addition to this, it’s one of the best fat burning exercises around and burns an impressive 920 calories per hour.
Sex is a great way to exercise and to maintain a healthy weight. Thirty minutes of sex burns 85 calories or more depending on the effort you put in. This may not seem like much. But the more sex you have, the more you burn.
There are also many other health benefits of sex, such as stress relief, boosting your immune system and self-esteem and it can even help prevent prostate cancer in men.
Spinning is a popular cycling based exercise class that involves pedaling to music at a range of different intensities. It’s a brilliant fat burner and works off 700 calories per hour and also does a great job of toning and strengthening the muscles in your lower body.
12) Step Ups
Step ups are a top cardiovascular exercise that blast through a significant 972 calories per hour. They do a fantastic job of targeting the muscles in your lower body and they can be performed in a very tight, compact space. To perform step ups properly, simply these instructions:
- Stand approximately 6 to 8 inches distance from the center of the step platform(or actual step). You should begin with your feet together, arms by your sides and the knees slightly bent.
- Get the body moving by marching in place by swinging the up and down in front of the chest and lifting and placing the feet without changing locations. The march in place is the preferred beginning and in between stepping movement. It keeps the heart rate working at a more continuous rate.
- Step up onto the platform with your left foot, heel first. This should not be a strain or a stretch and you are free to adjust floor position to suit. The arms can reflect the movement of the feet or stay by your sides, the choice is yours.
- Bring the right foot up onto the platform to meet the left foot for just a few seconds.
- Roll the toes off the platform as you return left foot to starting position on the floor with right foot following.
- Repeat this basic step as often as you wish alternating with the right foot as the beginning foot.
Swimming exercises all the major muscle groups of the body as well as the heart and lungs, making it a great activity for overall fitness. It builds lung capacity, endurance and strength. It’s also a great alternative to high-impact exercise like running and aerobics. Thirty minutes of steady swimming can burn up to 200 to 300 calories. If you can’t swim, still get in the pool (shallow end) and try running in the water, climbing in and out or water aerobics, all are good fun and great calorie burners.
Walking may not burn a huge amount of calories (240 calories per hour) but when you consider the ease with which you can add walking to your day, it’s still a top fat burning choice. By taking the stairs instead of the elevator, covering short journeys on foot instead of driving or simply having 30 minutes to yourself and going for a stroll every evening, you can burn plenty of body fat while still going about your day to day tasks
Weightlifting is another activity which doesn’t directly burn a lot of calories (400 calories per hour) but does give your fat loss efforts a significant boost. By lifting weights at least three times per week, you’ll build bigger, stronger muscles. Muscle cells require six calories per pound per day to maintain while fat cells require two calories per pound per day to maintain. Therefore, by lifting weights regularly, you’ll have more muscle mass and naturally burn more body fat each day as a result.
If you want to get the most out of your workouts when it comes to fat loss, performing the right exercises is essential. So if you’re not currently incorporating any of the exercises on this list into your weekly fitness regime, start making some changes today and ensure that your workouts are designed with maximum fat loss in mind. There must be at least a couple of exercises on this list that you would enjoy and not find a boring chore!
Tip: if your work entails sitting at a desk all day, try getting up every hour and doing 10 burpees or squat jumps, it will do wonders for your fitness levels. Although you might get some odd looks from your fellow workers.